farmerbernie

Simagri Update

Oh how quickly a SimAgri year passes (84 real days if you recall). Started in season 50, but wanted to take a moment to show how my first two full years (51 and 52) have gone. Below is my comparative financial statements for the two years.

59608fc79b4aa_ComparativeStmts51to52.PNG.386bda820f486bd24bb061c447a8bb00.PNG

As you can see I improved quite a bit year over year. Borrowed 50,000€ in 51, but it was worth it because it allowed me to add equipment and get into pigs and few head of cattle as well, but more importantly started renting plots to increase crop cultivation.

SimAgri rolled out the idea of a commercial dairy (actually other players) buying your monthly milk production at better prices than normally offered. Entered into a 12 month contract for 500 liters a month of goat milk, which I have had no problem providing even with my small herd of 13 does.

It is difficult to achieve any great economy of scale, since I have tried to be somewhat diversified in my approach. Still have numerous aspects of the game that I haven’t even attempted. Like contract work for other players, contracts for crop or animal sales, transportation of equipment or goods to name just a few.

Just started the month of May of 53 and have added some additional plots this year and recently bought 10 more pigs to fatten up over the next few months. Come by and visit my farm sometime on http://usa1.simagri.com

59608fc79d7bb_3DMap20170123.png.faf49ef7fe3a30634434ff4e411d884b.png

• Like 4

It’s February of Season 54 in SimAgri and the fields are starting to be prepped and planted for another season. Have a few hectares of colza (canola) that will ripen in time for harvest in August or September, but other than that I am crushing intermediary crops (mustard and phacelia (whatever that is?)) to try to bring up soil quality and pruning my blueberry and apple orchards.

I still suffer from too much diversification and not enough specialization in any one area, which ends up costing a lot of €’s and hampers my profitability. I’m just too curious to try all aspects of farming, but have decided to try to do better in 54 to focus on a couple of aspects, merge existing plots into larger ones and try to achieve some economy of scale with equipment and expand my pig operation.

Labor is still one of the chief constraints to success. With only 35 AP a day, it becomes necessary to hire day laborers (a little more costly) commit to a long term employee (25 AP a day) or go on the open market and hope other farmers are selling their excess labor for that day.

And now for the much anticipated and talked about (with myself) Comparative Financial Statements. Can see a net decline in cash year over year, but invested again in additional land, equipment, and labor costs went from a net provider to a larger cost. Have also tried to set aside some euros to savings each month in anticipation of equipment wearing out.

And you may note an entrée into an exciting new adventure: Regional Co-op. Two other farmer friends (elbs23 and ContractWorker) invited me to invest in a co-op and to be in charge of the VBF (vegetable bio fuel) production. Once again much to learn and has been a bit of a rocky start but only about 3 months in at this point.

59608fcc5bf67_ComparativeStatements51to52to53.PNG.c1df8fbb77a65017eeafafdab5b81e8b.PNG

BTW the goats are doing well. Thanks for asking . Still winning awards at Ag shows and am selling the high quality milk to my own co-op dairy.

Hope to catch you soon in SimAgri. Their spin-off development, Pro Farm Manager, has been pushed back for release in July or August. Seems to be a recurring theme in farm sim development these days. Will look at that when it comes out.

• Like 1

Was referred to this video by one of my SimAgri regional coop partners, ContractWorker. He works on this farm in real life and they are currently setting up the irrigation drums. Very different from any farming we experience in the United States. Coincidentally, ContractWorker also insisted that I startup an equipment dealership and has been in the process of ordering a large amount of Irrifrance brand center pivots and spray lines to irrigate his SimAgri hectares. This has greatly enhanced my knowledge and my financial statements and reminded me why I enjoy the gaming community.

You can have a great game premise and storyline; strong developers and quality programing, but to engage players long-term in a game, it comes down to the patience and support of other experienced players who are enthusiastic about the game and want to see other players succeed and enjoy the game, by sharing their knowledge and resources if necessary. I see that demonstrated everyday in this forum and am glad to have the opportunity to have that similar experience in SimAgri, a game I have grown to enjoy due to the support of many in-game players.

[media]

[/media]

Great video, it was very interesting to see all that equipment needed to produce tulips it would be great to get that in to FS:)

Great video, it was very interesting to see all that equipment needed to produce tulips it would be great to get that in to FS:)

Struck me as very similar to sugar beet harvesting. Maybe some gifted modder could tweak the sugar beet equipment and viola... tulip harvesting.

Season 54 in SimAgri brought many new opportunities for success and struggle on the farm. As I have stated in the past my closest real life experience in agriculture is growing up in a region where farming is very important and my only other connection was my Dad working for J.I. Case Company when its logo was the bald eagle on top of the world. But I still contend that I think SimAgri does a good job capturing the intense amount of capital investment that comes with farming and the extremely thin profit margins associated with it and how quickly money can be lost.

Case in point. You will see a new line in the recap this year for profit from running a dealership. No question, the € infusion to the overall operation is substantial; but it represents well over 4.5 million € in sales of equipment to a single in game farmer willing to pay the highest price possible for the equipment. Not likely I could do that well just running a dealership in the open market.

On the other side of the equation, the regional coop has not fared as well. It continues to run and some profitability is in site, but still a ways off. And then there was the water pipe install that cost me 30,000 € with one click of the mouse. Oops. No save game to fall back on here. It’s all real time interactive.

Current farm operations include blueberry and raspberry orchards, normal crops for feed and for sale, chickens, beef cattle, guinea fowl, pigs and my beloved goats. Selling milk to the coop and eggs at the new venture of the farmer’s markets.

Other farm related operations include the equipment dealership, regional coop, and transporting milk and cheese for the coop.

In an attempt to pass on some success to another farmer I have tried over the last year to contract out the labor in the plots to them instead of doing it myself. Haven’t really heard if this is working or not.

I hope you can sense that I enjoy SimAgri SimAgri - Le jeu de simulation agricole et d'élevage . Being web based with a good app, it is easy to keep up with the different daily chores. Their sister game Pro Farm Manager Pro Farm Manager – Le jeu vidéo où vous gérez et managez votre ferme virtuelle comme un pro is still in development and promised for later this year. I will be checking that out and post some impressions here when available.

Come and join me farm http://usa1.simagri.com/inscription_1.php?s=6&p=farmerbernie I am based in the center region of the USA in Minnesota. And if you have any questions, just send me a message here in PC-SG.

The dreaded spreadsheet :) comprised of 1,804 lines (transactions) in Season 54:

59608fd27f296_ComparativeStatements51to52to53to54.PNG.84f3502d2cc42b3f13ecf8cfbb7ba7e6.PNG

And the current farmstead:

59608fd281aad_3DMap20170704.png.cfcc7bd3b6f6b9703700ca6628fc69c0.png

C:\Users\TBERNS~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.png

Edited by Guest

Yes. The equipment dealership was a big plus and raised some big cash crops like spinach and beans. The crops are required to be rotated over various cycles, so will not be able to repeat that planting for a little while. Like all good farmers I poured the money right back into additional plots and bigger equipment.

• Like 2

Yes. SimAgri is still alive and well and yes I'm still actively engaged. Just started Season 57 this week. As much as I enjoyed the financial statements (and I'm sure you did too), the amount of transactions over the course of a year became excessive to edit down to a summary. I actually do have a real life job outside of farm simulations, although it is sometimes difficult to squeeze real work in. 

Still have positive SimAgri cash flow, although my balance hasn't really grown that much. Find too many new things to try out or invest in, so the bank balance takes a hit all the time. Have made a big effort to reach out to new farmers in my region and channel resources to them through contract work and purchasing livestock, crops and daily labor from them.  The more farmers I can keep interested in staying in the better it is for the whole SA economy.  So far I think it is helping to grow the base.

The SimAgri developers have rolled out their Pro Farm Manager for early access on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/517270/Pro_Farm_Manager/Unfortunately this is in the face of other offerings like Farm Manager 2018 (Farm Expert Devs) http://store.steampowered.com/app/495560/Farm_Manager_2018/and unfortunately PFM  is French only atm, which puts me at a decided disadvantage to try it out.

Would like to see more farmers join me in SimAgri.  Feel free to give it a try and see if it's to your liking. I have certainly enjoyed it.

• Like 2