Wonko

Mod & Map Testing Criteria

Please post your ideas about how we should test the maps and mods, and how we can grade the mods. It would be good if we can come up with a different solution than currently used by fs-uk of silver and gold, possibly a star rating system between 1-10 giving a lot more flexibility about how the mod was rated??

All testing to be done in a clean "mod folder"

Maps

Plant all fields

Harvest all fields

Test bga

Silage

Fuel points

Sell points

Clean log

Dose the mod description accurately explain the mod

Texturs

Floating objects

PDA image

Train

Forestry

Missions

Factory

Mods

Clean log

Dose the mod description accurately explain the mod

texturs

animation

Image x2

I can update this from your posts listed below so we can create a master list, this is just a starting point.

• Like 2

I think FS-UK is right to insist on a map (PDA) image. It helps me a lot to get the feel for a map. Not having one should reduce the star rating. Also would it be possible to have 2 sections for maps/mods, those that pass all the criteria and those that are "close but no cigar". This way if a mod has some simple errors that a member feels (s)he is capable of fixing or living with then they are not denied the opportunity. As long as the errors are explained by the tester and possible solutions (if known) are suggested then I don't think it would be a problem. I've always felt certain other sites have treated it's members like fools or idiots that are not capable of dealing with simple errors.

Okay rant over :D

John.

• Like 5

We could have the 10 stars for the totally error free and complete mods, going down to 1 star for the mods that just are not really worth nothing with, just thinking having two areas might over complicate things?? just my thoughts:)

• Like 3

We could have the 10 stars for the totally error free and complete mods, going down to 1 star for the mods that just are not really worth nothing with, just thinking having two areas might over complicate things?? just my thoughts:)

Actually I agree with you, my idea would over complicate things. I guess as long as the rating system is fully explained on the page then everyone should understand what they are downloading. As with the current review system there is plenty of opportunity for the tester to explain what errors (if any) there are and any possible fix's?

I would be happy to shell out for a MP server to get us started and if others wanted to chip in I think the server hosts have systems in place for donations with the funds only being available to pay for the upkeep/monthly fees.

John.

• Like 3

Really don't think a dedicated server is ideal for testing. Mods or maps wont run if they have problems, warnings, error's etc. Best to single play them first then try them in multi or a dedicated server after they pass single player.

We can divide up the testing between the testers on a map by map basis so as Johny said it would be unnecessary for a dedi server, but thank you for the kind offer much appreciated Minion Dancing@BigJohnnyD

• Like 2

Some other things to consider for the testing criteria

Maps also need to be tested for the functionality of animals- feeding, cleaning, animal nav meshes, outputs such as milk, cotton, manure, and slurry

Train functions and loading cranes if present

If the map has forestry - cutting and selling of logs and wood chips, stump grinding, check for double trees

Factories if present need checked for operations and whether they are identified and labeled both at site and pda/map

I agree with all fields need to be planted, fertilized and harvested but also should be plowed and cultivated and checked for proper sizing and mission compatibility(if map has missions) along with hired worker functionality for the full gamut

Also I'm sure all of you know this already but all mods and maps should be tested by themselves initially without other mods/maps in folder to properly verify clean log

I agree with both JohnnyVee and BigJohnnyD maps should be tested initially in single player before testing in MP or dedicated servers but if we test maps that have 50-60 fields or of the 4x variety the field testing process will go much quicker with a group effort and I would be glad to help with server costs. The only issue with this is the hours available to testers won't be the same so we would need a place to coordinate our efforts and keep a log of what each has done to keep this as efficient as possible.

As far as a rating system we could always do something along the lines of waffle quality from soggy undercooked (1) all the way to golden perfection with all the fixings (10) Minion Fruit

• Like 1

I think in the case of the very large maps or maps with lots of fields we should use a system of randomly choosing a number of fields rather than trying to test them all, otherwise our lives will be spent testingArghh

• Like 2

always load a map/mod on a dedicated server: Dedi servers have some extra error checking systems in place, very easy to see issues.

When planting crops on a map, also make sure to test is each crops in the map work, lot of maps have extra crop-s, make sure to test those too

testing a map is a lot of work, as you already have hands on experience with, from what I read in the posts.

Use F5 to see invisible/wrong collisions ingame

Can also be used to see size of triggers.

make sure to test all triggers

check for floating object

and very important if you respect modders, Always double check credits and mod origin.

Sometimes it is very easy to find a similar mod with another authors name listed.

(who made the base map / lay-out, are external scripts used? / map object from other people with credits?)

check functionality

check realism

check hp / hp requirement

check starting conditions

check if triggers work, (to open fences, to stop incoming traffic etc,)

check max speed

check shop price, upkeep, description, specifications

and more small things like this.

• Like 1

Also there must be a notification part to every mod or map, telling us what is happening during the testing process. There is nothing worse than spending hours and in some case's day's testing only to find when you report your findings that someone else has completed testing it.

So on the download page there must be a place to write that you have downloaded and have started testing.

Also the rating's for mods will differ from tester to tester, one man's 5 star rating can be another's 2 star.

If ever in doubt when testing, best to ask for help from another tester, I have been a tester for FS-UK for many years and believe me it can be a real bitch feast between testers there. :(

• Like 2

So we need to be very well organised thenThumbsup

oh boy we are in trouble nowMinion Angry

I have been a tester for FS-UK for many years and believe me it can be a real bitch feast between testers there. :(

I'm fairly confident the members here are a much more mature bunch without the built in ego's that prevail on other forums @Johnny Vee . I'm sure there won't be many bitch, bean or baby feasts among us lot, but then again I'm not sure of that @Icelandic Farmer he's got a bit of a temper on him. ;)

Silly John (will someone please take this keyboard away before I get into trouble :p )

O

BigJohnnyD

if you know how my temper is you shuld not have rigth this last words :p

That appears to be a very handy guide,I've only had a quick glance over it but I'm sure it will help us enormously when making up our own test procedure. One point that this has brought to my oft confused mind is that publishing the testing criteria for members to see would give them a guide as to what is necessary to make a "good" mod and/or map. I say "members" as I think it should only be available to people who want to be a part of our community.

I also think that before any mod is rejected or given a low score the author should be given the results privately so (s)he has the opportunity to rectify any errors. This would also save on storage for the server as you wont then have V1, V1.1, V1.2.1 copies of the same mod.

John.

• Like 2

When I test a mod on modcentral, and I find something, I always start a private conversation with the modder and a few fellow testers, to discuss testing progress, issues found, and if possible directions to solve the issue.

When you start a conversation with the modder, a lot is possible and helps a lot for a friendly environment

Regarding your post about double testing @BigJohnnyD, it is not a problem to have 2 people testing the same thing, different people find different issues. But I understand that it can be troublesome if you are testing and someone else approves the mod, while you found some issues.

So my advice, start a priveta conversation and invite all members of the testing team, so all can see the progress and found issues

• Like 4

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but border collisions is important.

As I found out once when map went to testing.

What I mean is making sure you cannot drive/walk over the edge, and commit suicide.

Felt like it a few times with errors though.

• Like 2