Wonko

Proposed Testing Procedure (feed Back Required)

Proposed Testing procedure

All testing to be done in a clean "mod folder”

Assign tasks to testing team in case of maps by team leader.

For mods assign two testers to cross reference results.

Once map has been submitted Team leader requests volunteers available to carry out testing and assigns tasks as per testers preferences, a test log thread is created in the Private testing forum, as each test is completed the master log can be updated with completed tasks, each tester posts the result of each task and the lead tester pulls all the results in and complies the final score.

After testing report to be complied by Team leader and passed on to mod author for errors to be fixed before publishing the map or mod if they want to.

Retesting only sections that failed at request of author.

Mod test time 1 week from submission.

Map testing time 3 weeks from submission.

Example score system

Score can be calculated on so many points per section.

Maps

1. Crops Seeding & harvesting (10 points)
  2. collisions & map boundaries, floating objects (Use fly mode or GE, View -> Show ->Physics and press the PLAY button.)(10 points)
  3. Sell triggers, Fuel, fertiliser, gates, doors (10 points)
  4. BGA & Silage pit (10 points)
  5. Forestry (10 points)
  6. train, traffic at junctions, pedestrians walking on air or through ground (10 points)
  7. PDA, Map Description, adequate images, log, check credits mod origin(10 points) some maps have some scenic images but nothing that shows farm yard, sell points etc
  8. Animals, All triggers, buy, sell(10 points)
  9. Textures, missing, vehicle reset(10 points)
  10. Missions (10 points)
  11. Factories, input & output, triggers(10 points)
  12. Multiplayer test for 30 mins (10 points)

An over all score can then be calculated and a star rating can then be applied based on the total score reached.

Map Star Rating

1 Star total unplayable total below 12 points

2 Star basically unplayable between 12-24 points

3 Star just about playable but why would you? between 24-36 points

4 Star playable work in progress between 36-48 points

5 Star playable but needs improving between 48-60 points

6 Star Good between 60-72 points

7 star Very good below 72-84 points

8 Star Exceedingly good below 84-96 points

9 Star Nearly perfect below 96-108 points

10 Star Perfection between 108-120 points

Mods

1) Load mod into game. 5 points

2) Buy mod & sell in game. 10 points

3) Analyse log file. minus a point for every error 10 points

4) textures 10 points

5) Shop description & price (realistic) 10 points

6) Statistics (horsepower, fill capacity, etc.) are adequate

realistically or subject to gameplay) and the values match the .xml file ((ingame you can drive a vehicle or implement on a scale (goldcrest BGA) and see the weight, or you can open it in GE and sum all weights of the Main (1st level) components). 10 points

7) All basic and auxiliary functions work properly. 10 points

a)Lights, working lights, braking lights, reverse lights and

warn lights with function. 5 points

b) Coronas are at the right location. 5 points

c) Steering wheel is rotating (driver is animated). 5 points

d) Driver is invisible in first person. 5 points

e) Camera navigation indoor / outdoor is correct. 5 points

f) fillVolume and animations are correct. 5 points

g) Physical conduct is normal. 5 points

h) Attach / detach is functional. 5 points

8) Multiplayer test for 30 mins optional

9) Polycount.

• Attachments: 40.000 – 80.000 for beta mods
  • Trailers: 60.000 – 120.000 for beta mods
  • Tractors: 100.000 – 200.000 for beta mods
  • Harvesters: 150.000 – 300.000 for beta mods 5 points

Mod Star Rating

1 Star very bad below 20 points

2 Star lots of errors between 20-40 points

3 Star work in progress between 40-60 points

4 Star good between 60-80 points

5 Star Error free working as described between 80-100 points

This is for feedback and is not the definitive final testing criteria, please post any thoughts below.

• Like 1

I think you have covered most if not all of the bases @wonko I can't think of anything else to add at the minute but I'm sure as time goes on we will come across instances that need clarification and such happenings could be included as required. (ie. this list shouldn't be "written in stone" and be unchangeable).

As an aside, this brings up the question of training of testers, is it possible that PC-SG have a training process for ALL testers to complete prior to being let loose on modders hard work? Would it be helpful if for instance, there were a couple of tutorials (videos?) explaining best practice to potential testers and a testers "handbook" for all to check if they come across anything they're not sure of?

As always these are only my musings and nothing I'm prepared to fall out over. :)

John

• Like 3

mod testing point 2, add reset vehicle (this can provide log errors or game crashes) in some cases

mod testing point 6 test vehicle horsepower bij using ingame command: gsVehicleToggleDebugRendering (nut sure if I typed it right, but you can type "gsV" in the commandline and press tab untill you see something like this

mod testing point 6 Vehicle weight (ingame you can drive a vehicle or implement on a scale (goldcrest BGA) and see the weight, or you can open it in GE and sum all weights of the Main (1st level) components

you made a nice list, good job.

one more importatn point, which I think I did not see covered anywhere is credits, mod theft, object used without giving credit etc.

Very difficult stuff to find out, but very importatn to make sure that you are not uploading a s"stolen" mod

• Like 5

Looks good, @wonko :)

One thing you could consider adding is polycount. A tractor can be perfect in most ways. But if it’s made up of 1 million triangles, it’s really not a game friendly mod.

I believe these are the Giants’ standards:

• Attachments: 40.000 – 80.000 for beta mods
  • Trailers: 60.000 – 120.000 for beta mods
  • Tractors: 100.000 – 200.000 for beta mods
  • Harvesters: 150.000 – 300.000 for beta mods

Attachments is perhaps the most tricky thing. Giants own version of the Horsch Pronto DC is over 120.000 triangles…

(Someone with more knowledge… Feel free to correct me… :))

You can unzip the mod and open in it GE. When you select the main part of the mod in the ‘Scenegraph’, you’re given 3 numbers. It’s the Triangles count you should look for, if I’m not mistaken.

Dlf9Ua.jpg

If the mod has more than one, main component, just summarize the number of triangles of each object group. (As an example... The Quadtrac is made up by 2 main components, or object groups if you like.)

9iefsE.jpg

I have just been over to American Eagles Modding and noticed they have a AEM-CERTIFIED section and a member of the same name I think like we have PC-SG Modding member if you click on the name you get an error message and all the mods have 5 stars, from this i gather they are testing mods and if they are error free they have there own section

collisions & map boundaries, floating objects (Use fly mode or GE, View -> Show ->Physics and press the PLAY button.)(10 points)

I heard if you press the play button in GE it breaks the logging crane that are in my case over the RR tracks