FarmerKlein

Still totally confused about 80% of the site

I have tried, seriously tired to figure out what is going on with PC-SG.  I have failed totally to grasp so much of the site since the redesign.  

My posts have dropped like a stone cause I cant find stuff, new topics or replies to topics do not seem to show up in Activity/Unread Content area.  I will usually also click Most Recent to see things but still I will come across something that has a bunch of replies that I had not seen before.

Then we have the extras outside the forum.  Maybe its cause I do not do facebook.  In fact I don't get facebook in general.  No idea why it even exists.  I don't do social networking in general.  What happened so a simple forum with a listing of categories and then topics within the categories.

Blogs - There is a forum for member blogs which just looks like forum postings.  Then there is a section called Blogs which seem to be different.  Not sure what the difference is with out creating one just to see what it looks like or how it works.

Clubs - Not sure what this is beyond a listing of members.  There is a streamers club but it just looks like a directory of streamers.  Don't see anything to do with the club specifically.  The FAQ on clubs says a club can have its own blog, forum, gallery, etc as if its a sub site of PC-SG but when I look at the streamers club I see a feed of activity but no way to do anything.  There is Stream academy, no posts and no idea what it does.  Stream channels has some posts but no idea what is supposed to go there or appropriate.  And the stream calendar is a whole other totally unsure thing.

Calendar - Whats it for, what kinds of things should go there.  Anyway to get rid of the Location bit.  When you say the venue is not listed and it then starts to ask you for a physical location it seems to stop making sense real quick unless someone is trying to setup a member meetup.

Like I said above I am totally lost, confused and I consider myself fairly adept at technology, just not the whole social aspect.

Now let me get to what reignited up this great frustration today.

I posted about doing a game play with 24 day seasons.  Given that it will take 96 game days to complete 1 year and as best I know no one has done a 24 day season play publicly I figure it might be a good thing for my channel plus I look forward to the new challenges that such long seasons will bring.  I wanted to so a sort of diary of days as if I was a lonely farmer putting down in a sort of field work log.  An entry for each day as a summary of the things done that day, made up thoughts and concerns, etc.  I am seeing it as way of doing mixed media to follow this virtual farmers lonely struggle on the farm.

A forum posting for every day in some forum topic wont work well, this is why I started looking at the Blog section thinking starting a blog for this project would work.  Thought about a free wordpress blog but then thought that I could put it here on pc-sg to help with interest in the site.  But i just don't know nor do we have any real blogs in the blog area to understand how things might work/look.  BP has a blog with 1 entry so its not really helping understand how things might work.  Oh, BTW since I don't do social i haven't done a blog before in general either.

The members blogs just looks like several postings mostly by Grizzlybearsims but again each posting is basically a forum post and it will feel like spamming the category to put in 96 individual posts in there ultimately getting intermixed with other posts by members ect.

Then I was looking at Clubs trying to figure out if a club would work.  Something for folks who may be insane enough to try this kind of thing also to join and have a community within the community but with only the streaming club to look at as an example its not very helpful to understand.

Overall there seems to be lacking documentation on these other features, and with out examples in place or documentation as to how these areas of the site work, and why one would create a blog over a posting in the members blog category of the forum and why a club would be created or what benefit in joining an existing club would be I feel this extra stuff is clutter and excess weight.

This is coming from not only a frustrated user but from a former site admin of a rather large aquarium hobby site.  I built a community not unlike this many years ago from 2 members (myself and a co-admin) to well over 10000 members before we sold the site.  We ran the site not for the sake of making money but for the sake of a safe community just like this one.  Over the years our lives just got busier and there came a time that we could not devote the time we wanted to the site.  A site will always have a decent amount of people that sign up and post very little.  They may still frequent the site for information but real growth comes with content and content takes users willing to put content onto the site and when folks who really want to use the site and the sites features cant figure it out what does that say for the folks that are not so set in wanting to make it all work.

• Informative 1
  • Agree 1
  • Like 1

A lot of information here to digest.  But just scanning over what you've said (before I need to run to a meeting).  I'm thinking what you are wanting to accomplish the blog feature would work for you.  Just click on Forums & Clubs, then Blogs and create the blog.  You can update it and others can comment.

It will look somewhat like a regular forum posting meaning that folks can comment on each entry.  Then when you decide to create another entry, you click the "Add Blog Entry" button and add another entry.  

Jerry

• Like 3

Hi @FarmerKlein

Really sorry you are having issues since we changed software, I will try and answer some of your concerns here and I will contact you via pm later as well.

2 hours ago, FarmerKlein said:

My posts have dropped like a stone cause I cant find stuff, new topics or replies to topics do not seem to show up in Activity/Unread Content area.  I will usually also click Most Recent to see things but still I will come across something that has a bunch of replies that I had not seen before.

I to do find the activity area a little confusing which is why I put in the "New Posts" button at the top of the forum 

Forums_-_PC-SG.thumb.jpg.da6a5530471bf5f67737db652d7243b9.jpg

As you can see I have the traditional forum layout above and it is the forum default, but you do have options indicated by the 2nd arrow which will be stuck on what ever option you have clicked every time you log in.

option 1= traditional forum layout with red colouring to indicate there is a new post in that section

option 2:- Boxes for the different forum categories again colouring to indicate new posts inside.

option 3:- Fluid facebook style all activity listed in either condensed or expanded view

Activity

This needs a whole page of documentation or a video to really explain it so I will cover that another day.

Facebook, totally on the same page as you but its a necessary evil for a forum owner these days.

3 hours ago, FarmerKlein said:

Blogs - There is a forum for member blogs which just looks like forum postings.  Then there is a section called Blogs which seem to be different.  Not sure what the difference is with out creating one just to see what it looks like or how it works.

As Jerry said, but I will also do a how to for blogs as well soon, the reason we have a forum section for blogs and a separate proper Blog system is because before we did not have proper blog software now we do and we had RSS feeds from GBS and Chaseydogs blogs that got auto posted in the blogs part of the forum, I don't want to lose the old blog posts from these guys which is why we have both atm, I will look into tidying this area up at some point as well.

I will also look into creating a more complete example Club set up to better demonstrate it's uses.

Calendar - Whats it for, what kinds of things should go there.  Anyway to get rid of the Location bit.  When you say the venue is not listed and it then starts to ask you for a physical location it seems to stop making sense real quick unless someone is trying to setup a member meetup.

The Calendar app is to be used by any member for any event like multi streaming or to set up a multiplayer game etc, as for the location you can totally ignore this or put in any location you like.

Overall there seems to be lacking documentation on these other features, and with out examples in place or documentation as to how these areas of the site work, and why one would create a blog over a posting in the members blog category of the forum and why a club would be created or what benefit in joining an existing club would be I feel this extra stuff is clutter and excess weight.

It dose take time to create documentation and I have no video making skills to create videos, I have started to do a "How to" section but I have been extremely busy for months now with real life/work and getting the migration problems that we had sorted out so if you could just bear with me I will get more documentation done as soon as I can.

In the mean time please contact me via pm for specific help on anything and I will do my best to help.

• Like 2

Speaking as a guy that has been into computer gaming for 36 years and building pc's since a 486 was fast I have to say that I've never understood forums. I have tried hard to help get this one rolling with more users posting, but I find the whole site confusing. I did a bit better on the old one. All I can see is a constant stream of new users being greeted and flooding out any new posts I might want to look at.

As to Facebook. I hate it. The memes, political bs that just winds people up etc.. is just awful.

However, I do find being a member of a Farming Sim closed group easy to use and a lot more fun.

For example. Last week I had trouble with my imput bindings. I posted here on PCSG, and on a Farming Sim group with only 108 members. Within 10 mins, I was getting helpful suggestions from members on the Facebook group, as well as meeting someone with exactly the same problem.  By next morning we'd fixed it and sent instructions on Facebook for others to see. Each time I log on I find links to new mods, updates about the game, screenshots, fan art and it's different every time.

I feel Forums are like the camera that still uses film in a digital age. Maybe this is why there are no young people posting on here?

• Informative 1

The easy fix for filtering out the welcome threads is to go to that section and "mark forum as read"

Welcome_to_new_members_-_PC-SG.thumb.jpg.ca75fd8368217a4d4e8d14f994645c18.jpg

Then hit the new posts button and you will only get the real posts that you have not read yet.

EDIT....

I see it does the same thing as the unread content link in activity.  thats what I have been using for quite a while but it still feels like there are things im missing.  i usually scroll till I see unread content that I recall seeing before.

Edited by FarmerKlein
  • Like 1

totally off subject but I see the site is 100 away from 2000 members

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FarmerKlein said:

totally off subject but I see the site is 100 away from 2000 members

Which is exactly my point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmerKlein said:

EDIT....

I see it does the same thing as the unread content link in activity.  thats what I have been using for quite a while but it still feels like there are things im missing.  i usually scroll till I see unread content that I recall seeing before.

Things are easier if you "mark the site read" after visiting that way only new stuff shows when you press new posts on returning.

• Agree 1

If I may, I would like to add my 2 cents in here.

First I refuse point blank to even open a Facebook account and my family all think I'm weird because of it but I won't budge on the idea. Who want's to know I've slept in this morning or that I'm having a burger ... errr.... I mean a salad for lunch?

As for how the site works (or doesn't) it's always difficult trying to adopt a new format once you have settled into a particular style, as we are all having to do here but eventually we will all learn the new features and how they work. Of course there has been some very good comments on this thread regarding documentation or instructions on how to use the different features and I'm sure that will come in time. I do know that @Wonko has asked for tutorials (preferably video) to guide members through the maze but until they arrive we will have to do it the old fachioned way, by trial and error.

I do actually know what @Wonko is going through at the minute as I co-ran a  gardening forum that went from 7 members to over 2500 hits a day in about 3 months. I simply could not keep up and had to hand over the running of the site to others. The last time I visited that site they had over 20,000 registered members and full time staff. I've also run a server and site for the game Arma3 (Altis Life). We lost approximately 14% of our regular posters simply by changing hosts and the layout of the forums.

What I'm trying to say is, I do understand the frustrations of not being able to share as you would like but it will come given time and a LOT of patience. The way I see it is if you try something and it doesn't look right or work the way you hoped it would there is always the delete button Lol.

John.

• Winner 2
  • Like 2

I think I might make a club and see what it looks like.  you admins could just remove it if it does not work out right.

• Like 1

I have finally worked out the correct settings on the forum fluid view so that it now shows the latest posts in time order making it a much better way to quickly see the latest posts.

Forums_-_PC-SG.thumb.jpg.3a2787fcc9780a4eeb8116b5fd34c72c.jpg

I will make this the default forum view but you can always change to your own preference by choosing from one of the 3 icons to the left of the "New Topics" button. 

• Winner 2

It's like making a map , you don't make  a good one in a few days.

Maybe the ones that are used to run or make a forum can stick their noses toghetter and talk about some ideas?

Toghetter you can build bridges.

• Like 1