Wonko

West Coast by Bulletbill

I have been looking forward to playing on this map so I was keen to to watch this video, so with a cup of tea I sat back and enjoyed the scenery from another BB creation.

• Like 3

It looks fantastic, I can hardly wait to get stuck in.

I wonder how soon "very soon" is...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cardos said:

It looks fantastic, I can hardly wait to get stuck in.

I wonder how soon "very soon" is...

I would guess a couple of weeks for them to test it then release for our farming pleasureMinionDancing

• Like 3

I was actually looking forward to this map as well. However, this modder is on Giants forums putting down other modders maps.   I been around this world a long time and to see someone stoop to a level as to tear others down in a video game speaks volumes of their character.   

BulletBill83 wrote: Personally I find if a map maker feels the need to add lots of industries then the map itself isn't good enough in the first place.

With "The West Coast" both PC and Console version, they have a brand new feature never before seen or done on any map in Farming Sim history.
To compliment the "cut grass" texture the map has, the grass foliage now has distance textures for all 3 grass growth stages. (Cut, mid growth, fully grown)
Other maps that have cut grass textures look awful as you can clearly see where the detail texture ends. These maps don't have the coding to draw the grass distance textures. 
On some recent WIP maps it looks daft going from yellow grass to green, this just reminds the player he is in a game.
With my map as the cut grass gets to the point it changes over to the distance texture it blends in perfectly with the new distance texture.
Now you can tell what state your grass meadows are in even from a distance. This really is a small thing, but the effect ingame just makes grasswork so much more enjoyable.

Tim, I actually respectfully disagree with your reading of BulletBill's comments in that post you quoted.

He isn't putting down other maps nor the modders, what he is saying though is that in his opinion and based on many Work In Progress (WIP) maps that have been released of late, the map makers have instead of seemingly concentrated on the actual map design in both looks and game-play elements, they rely on putting more and more industries in.

I agree with this statement, as there are many maps whereby much attention to detail in the map itself is lacking. BB also is alluding to, and informing that he has taken the time (again his preference) to ensure that the game (in his opinion) is provided to be a more immersive game-play by coding the distance grass textures.

So while everyone has their right to express their opinions, I certainly know for a fact that BB would never purposely put down other modders or map makers, but from what I have seen is the exact opposite as he assists and encourages others. BB is essentially in the message you quoted, just by a form of comparison highlighting a very important feature that is included, and I certainly one that I am looking forward to experiencing on West Coast.

When we are spoilt with the quality of maps and their details from BB, OxygenDavid and Stevie just to name the most notable I know, it is quite evident the different levels of attention to detail that is provided in some of their maps specifically.

In saying all of that, in my opinion, any map that is playable is great - as I certainly do not have the time nor the patience to sit and develop a map, and certainly not to a standard that I would be putting my name to....

• Winner 1
  • Like 3

BB helped me out several times while I was building Nagce Valley and his maps served as models for the level of detail I was trying to reach with my map though admittedly I didn't get quite there. My experience with BB has been more on FSUK than the Giants forums in my experience time and again he's answering questions,  sharing his experience,  giving back to the mod community in a positive way. I didn't take his quote as a slight, merely an expression of opinion, one which I happen to agree with.

• Like 5

I agree with my learned friend @Duckzorly.  I think some folks think a map is a few fields and then plop down some other things to keep the virtual farmer busy and they call it a map.  I've seen some of these maps, I've even tried some of these maps and they lack the personality of some of the truly great maps.  While I'm not a map modder, what I believe BB is making an attempt in doing is coaching, encouraging map designers to don't just stop after throwing a few fields down and fill the rest with industry, but to take it to the next level....to add the personality and the level of detail which we all love about a map from Stevie, BB, OxgyenDavid, Stussey etc. etc. etc.  

At least this is how I read into that statement.  

• Agree 1
  • Like 3

I like Stevie's approach.....he provides flat "parking lots" for the player to use as industry sites if the player wants to do so.  I like having the industries because it provides a nice progression of activities (especially with Seasons and Winter), but I would prefer to plop down placeables as I see fit, rather than have a map come with 15 industries already in place.  When I add them bit by bit it helps me remember where they are....when the map already has a bunch of them, I get confused and forget where they are.

• Agree 3
  • Like 1

I don't see BB putting down other peoples maps he is just saying his view and if people want to interpret it that way then fine whatever, He is just giving his view. In Real life many farms would never have any of the industries people add to maps. yes it makes the maps more intresting and gives the players more to do, but certain map builders prefer to keep their maps as real/close to real life as they can. I know that BB has helped many other map makers who add these things in like fish etc. I do like how stevie does his maps leaves you flat places for you to add them if you wish. But I don't see BB's comments putting other modders/map makers down, its just his own view. On another note I am looking forward to this map A lot it seems like we have been waiting to long for it but then I know BB wants it right and won't release if he doesn't think its ready. So @Tim Carter I dissagree with the way you have interpreted the comments as I said I just see that has his own View.

• Like 1

I would just like to point out, and remind everyone, that this is no attack on Tim and his views, just a CIVIL discourse on the interpretation of the quote of BB's, and further discussion around this.

Tim, like all of us is entitled to his view and stand, and we should all respect everyone for that. Please ensure it does not develop into something we dont want nor like to see at PC-SG.

• Agree 3
  • Like 3

Let your work stand on as it may.  If you read the comments on the forum they make reference to these maps being " ugly."  I always told young interns that the best way to not have your work criticized was to let your work stand on merits.  By making remarks referencing others work degrades your own.  As you all as said, just the opinion of an old man.  Thanks for your time.

• Like 5

If I may add my tuppence worth in here.

BulletBill can be extremely helpful to others and his own maps are always incredibly well "fleshed out" and full of character but I have once or twice seen a different side of him when he is talking on forums etc. As much as I hate to put anyone else down, I can to a certain extent agree with @Tim Carter.

I don't think it's fair to go into detail as the man has no way to defend himself but lets say none of us are perfect and we can all have our off days.

Whatever our personal feelings are about him he does put a huge amount of effort into his contributions to FS and for that we should all be grateful.

John.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1
  • Agree 2
  • Like 3

I think that it's great that we can have this discussion with different points of view so well put across with out rancour or abuse, I doff my cap to you all AgnesOverjoyed

@Tim Carter I have not read the article that BB made his comments, so I can only go on my previous dealings with him and he has been a great help to me on my two attempts at map making, and he is always ready to offer help and advice to others as well which I think says a lot about the man himself, as I am sure you know there are many in the modding community that are not so accommodating in helping others achieve their aims.

I too have seen a comment from BB that made me do a double take, but he then apologised for being a bit aggressive and if memory serves me correctly it was simply a miss reading of a post, we are all human and it is all to easy to read more in to a comment than was intended and sometimes when you re read something at a later date it takes on a new meaning that we may have missed the first time.

BB is passionate about what he dose with his map creations and really tries to bring the maps to life with limited tools Giants provide so I can certain sympathise with what he is saying. There are a lot of maps released that may be should not have been, and there may be a valid argument for what he is saying but it all depends on what individual is looking for in a map or mod so I would not take to much from his comments apart from he is human just like the rest of usHappy)

• Like 4

@Duckzorly No its not an attack on @Tim Carter at all its just everyone else calmly giving their own view on the topic which is constructive.  Not everyone will agree with statements and will always give their own view as it helps the person who originally started the conversation others peoples takes on it. What was said can be taken so many ways and tim has seen what the rest of us think so I think that helps him understand us and our views. Healthy Debate :). I am glad however that it didn't turn into a grief fest its nice to see civilized discussion on it. And to anyone who has not had dealings with BB then yes it would be taken the way Tim originally saw it it and how he understood it to mean. And as for refernce of such maps being Ugly @Tim Carter each to their own. Not everyone is going to like the look of a map but I do see where you where comming from.

• Like 3

The PC-SG way of doing things wins again.

It's so easy to read something into a post that the OP had no intention of meaning and as we all know this can cause so many problems. What @Wonko and his team have acheived here is singular in it's ability to allow all members of any age/background and/or even country to chat without any flaming or name calling simply by expecting everyone to behave to others how they expect others to behave to themselves, and it works!

Yes, of course people have differing opinions and that is encouraged in a friendly and healthy way so that we each have a way of expressing ourselves without fear of it being ridiculed or shouted down by others and I personally can not think of any other forum where that happens.

John.

• Friendly 3

And if I play Bill's map.....No reason to...............I would add some things to it for my enjoyment, just to add more game play. No matter how you dress up a pig, it's still a PIG(original gameplay).

• Like 1

Also Bill's map looks great........I just have no time to be starting to many gameplays.........24 day seasons already taking up most of my gameplay time :) .

26 minutes ago, FarmerKlein said:

Oh sure blame me....

Facepalm(

Don't worry we all doLaugh)

• Like 3

I think we've all led varied gaming lives before becoming virtual farmers. My time as mission lead at the Kerbal Space agency came to an inglorious end after the 'Mun Incident' alas poor Jeb, I knew him well.

• Haha 2