Sign in to follow this  
mereman

The state of Farming sims

Just been watching the Daggerwin video on Real Farm and have been playing the tech demo of Cattle and Crops not to mention watching  some of the videos on Pure Farming.

If the footage on Real Farm from Daggerwin is any thing to go by with one week to go to release then it looks dead in the water. Plus we still have no idea of the price. To my mind it is in the class of Pro Farmer and Farm expert.

Pure Farming has time to get to the racers and I hope it will. But I'm not putting my money down until I have seen some proper reviews.

This leaves C&C. At least there is something we can play with but to my mind there is an 'ell of a lot of work to do. But of all of them this seems the best bet.

I'm not making any room on my channel yet for any of the new farm games.

From a story telling viewpoint Real Farm is hopeless that way of selecting options would break the story. Don't as yet know for certain how Pure Farming will deal with it. C&C looks as it could work.

Just my 4d worth

Edited by mereman
  • Like 8

I take great stock by what my grandma used to tell me as a kid, she would oft recite the phrase "if you have nothing good to say about something then it's better to say nothing at all". So with that being said, Daggerwin ............

Anyway moving on, I agree with just about everything you say @mereman There is nothing that comes close to FS either available now or in the works and that is what is surprising because, lets face it, it's not really a difficult game to create. Giants aren't a team of super-genius developers, they don't, I presume, have access to alien technology and they have never really had the funds for huge teams of people to iron out the problems/bugs so if they can do it why can't others?

CnC is a very big let down in my eyes, Pro Farmer is, well ...... (Thank you gandma) and Real Farm is as you say Mike "dead in the water".

• Like 5

Oh dear, not very impressive at all, the only people to play this will be the ones that do not yet know about FS.

• Agree 3

The problem is with the Gaming Industry of today is there are too many publishers that just want the quick buck from a 'guaranteed market success' - obviously skewed by whatever rates as a success.

Seemingly today's software distributors are more than happy for some 3rd rate or new startup software company to make a knock off of a game that is doing well in the market, or indeed has done well in the recent past.  Obviously in the case of the Farming Simulator genre (no catch on term intended), Giants have for some time been developing and improving their genre with genuine passion and love for their title - so it would seem.  But then you get those that see this, and want a chunk of the cash, and we get Pure Farming, Real Farm and even Cattle and Crops.  Admittedly the later one seems to be better than the others, and may (not likely atm imo) be a more worthy competitor to FS17, but the others would barely be able to compete with FS18 from my perspective atm.

Now, being a newby and having a low subscriber base, far be it from me to chastise another YouTuber, but the review on Real Farm made me doubt their product more than be keen for it.

For me, for now, Giants and Farming Simulator 17 is the one for me, besides in my 40+ years of gaming, no game has come close to getting me into 1900+ hours - other than WoW - but we won't go there.

• Like 2

A few more thoughts. One thing which knocks out both Real Farm and Pure Farming for me is no support for mods, I don't think this will be a issue with C&C as most of the people working on it are modders.

Also no support at the moment for Multi-play. I would have thought if you are after Giants market those two have to be in the game from day one.

I'm not worried about having real life companies but I do want mods and the chance to change things.

• Agree 1

Real Farm is not even competition for FS 16 on mobile and the "dev" they have avoiding questions on the forum is NOT helping.

. Pure Farming looks more like the Expert farm series.

That is not a bad thing.If Play Way had not been so greedy and pulled the plug on Silden we would have competition for Farm Sim.

I think Silden had a chance at making a good Farm game ,they listened to the players , they tried fixing bugs as fast as they could and they had a pretty solid base to build on. I had PMed the devs at Silden just prior to the release of the Hard Terrain DLC. and was quite surprised at their candor. They said they really wanted the game to succeed ,had some interesting ideas to try but had already been informed by Playway that they would cease support by a certain date and would barely have time to release the DLC they had already promised.

So. . Cattle and Crops.  I have been putting a fair bit of time into this.The bugs make me nuts as they are profuse and lying in wait around every corner.Just driving the tractors though lets you know this game is different. Even ETS doesnt have the visceral feel of driving in CnC. Unfortunately the current development rate is very ,very slow. I think FS 19 will be out by the time CnC releases.

That though is the real issue. So many people ,and rightly so, complained that FS17 was such a small step up from FS15

It was a whole lot of the same but thanks to the great modding community they were able to steal enough ideas to make the game fresh ,at least at the vanilla level.

The only way Giants is going to risk stepping up and really changing the game is if they actually get something they have not had since 2008 ,REAL competition.

So I really hope either Pure or CnC  can provide that not only so we have a cool new sim to play but also because Giants really needs , more than anything else , a good swift kick in the ...

Thanks Folks have a great day

• Agree 1
  • Like 1

I agree and I believe @Species7 hit the nail on the head.  While we can all "oooh and ahhh" over the other titles and let's face it, the things these other developers said their games would be and what they actually end up being could be two very different things (and I think we're seeing that already).  But until someone actually does it, Giants can continue doing what they are doing and most likely will do just that.

As we're closely knocking on the one year away door for FS19, my hope is Giants would consider developing into FS19 some of the more popular mods we all know and love.  While I understand not all who play FS will want to play with Seasons, Drive Control, Courseplay, GPS etc.  etc. These could be options the user could turn on/off to suit their style of play.  Much like Giants did with the plowing options.   I only suggest this because I'm really not sure how many more versions of FS some of our truly talented modders who we as a user community continue to treat so poorly will be around for a FS19, FS21, FS23 release.  

Jerry

• Like 4

I feel like we are in an Apples and Oranges situation here.    Farm sim is at it's core an arcade game.   Take the machines,  make money,  try not to kill the chickens.   It's the modders who made it a Simulator.   Seasons MR, Gearbox IC   all these are Mod driven gameplay.    and FarmSim has the longevity now to have a huge and active mod community.   

So along come the others.   Real Farmer vs Farm sim is like Car mechanic sim  vs GTA.   you can play both.   but it's not the same game.  Yes I can drive a train in Train Mechanic sim but it ain't no Train sim world.    All I am saying is that these other games that are coming along are not meant to compete with farm sim.   They ride the coattails and make a buck and fade away.    And those people who are intimidated by mods and scared to open a map will play them.    They will play them for a week or two and poof.   Gone.   If Farm Sim wasn't a modded game I don't think it would have been any different.    Who in this group drive a bone stock in game tractor? (rhetorical)    But profits will be made.   

Cattle and Crops is a special case.    A group of very talented people got together and wanted to re invent the genre.   GOOD FOR THEM.   But now the business of delivery is upon them.   And eventually the pressure to deliver something will have them drop an Alpha game as complete.    Inevitable.   They have my money.   Keep it.  I really hope you make it.   But don't pretend that my experience feeding Bulls isn't just that.   Bull.    Keep working on it boys.   You have Giant's attention.   That make all of us winners.    

Rant over.   You may go back to your chips

Marc::))

• Like 2