Sign in to follow this  
Duckzorly

Blog FeedAgQuip 2018 – The John Deere Experience Part 1

In this next instalment of our Blog series on our visit to AgQuip 2018, Australia’s largest Agriculture and Farming expo, we look at the John Deere story as background information, and look at the various models of John Deere that were present from the old to the new.

AgQuip is held yearly over 3 days, at a purpose built area just outside the New South Wales township of Gunnedah.  Gunnedah is a 5hr drive from the New South Wales capital of Sydney and is surrounded by farming communities small and large.

Now let me set the record straight! I am not a John Deere (JD) fanboi, in fact I have never really bought into the fervour with which some people have an affinity for the green and yellow branded machines. HOWEVER, that being said, I did, for the clarity of fair reporting and also for interest sake, spend some time looking over the JD equipment.

Unfortunately, more so than I would have intended, to the point that Mrs Duck thought I must like JD, and ended up buying a JD ballcap for me! Don’t worry, lawyers have been contacted and terms are being discussed!

Anyways, lets start talking about the equipment.  Firstly, and probably more interesting for me, was the many old JD tractors, including Chamberlains that were at AgQuip.

chamberlain-100.jpg?w=150&h=113 jd09.png?w=150&h=113 oldjd03.png?w=150&h=113 oldjd08.png?w=150&h=113

Chamberlain History

An Australian by the name of Bob Chamberlain from Victoria, was a tractor mechanic whom had designed his own version of a tractor specifically built in mind of the unique Australian farming conditions. This tractor was to become the Chamberlain 40K model.

The Western Australian had heard that Bob was planning on designing and perhaps building custom built Australian tractors, and convinced him to move to Western Australia and utilise an ex-munitions factory in Welshpool. Subsequently the first 40K model was produced at this facility in 1949.

The original 40K comprised 40 horsepower (30kW) twin-cylinder, horizontally opposed engines and weighed around 4 tonnes.

OldJD07Chamberlain 4080 Tractor (1975-1985)

In 1953 Chamberlain commenced production of diesel powered tractors with models being the GM diesel powered 60DA and 70DA, along with the 55DA which was powered by an Australian built diesel engine.

In 1970, the John Deere Company of America purchased a controlling interest in Chamberlain, and an expansion and refit of the Welshpool Plant was conducted in 1978.  During the 1980’s Chamberlain became a fully owned subsidiary of John Deere, and traded as Chamberlain John Deere. Unfortunately by 1986 due to decline in demand, the manufacture of the Chamberlain tractors ceased.

John Deere models on Show

We will skip the history of the John Deere Company itself, as that is information easily obtained, and to be honest not so obscure or bizarre in any way.  We will however, dive into the various models both old and new that were on display this year.

Firstly we will take a look at some of the older generation tractors that were on display.  I will not be delving into full specs of all the machinery from here on, however will certainly highlight some equipment with some specs where deemed appropriate.

JD08.pngJohn Deere 730 Diesel (1958-1961) 1960 price $3700 USD oldjd01.png?w=150&h=113 oldjd02.png?w=150&h=112 oldjd04.png?w=150&h=113 oldjd05.png?w=150&h=113

JD10.png

John Deere 80 (1955 -1956) – 2-cylinder 4-valve, liquid cooled. V4 gasoline pony motor.

Now its time to move on to the modern equipment big and small.  John Deere via it’s Australian Distributors admittedly had a lot of various items on display with everything from small ride on mowers and Gators, through the medium sized tractors, to the Large and the Combine Harvester.

Click to view slideshow.

The John Deere R4060 Self Propelled Sprayer and the R4038 Self Propelled sprayers were available as well.

jdr4038_01.png?w=112&h=150 jdr4060_01.png?w=150&h=113

R4060 – 36m (120ft) Boom, 6000L Stainless Steel Tank

R4038 – 27.4m/30.5m/36.6m (90ft/100ft/120ft) Boom, 3800L Stainless Steel Tank

Along with this equipment, they also had a couple of Hagie sprayers on display as well.  In 2016 John Deere purchased a controlling share of the spraying company, and now utilise this product line to supplement its offerings in relation to spraying of herbicides, insecticides and fertilizers.

HagieSTS_JD_01.png

Come join us for Part 2 of the John Deere experience where we look at some of the newer equipment available.

View the full article

• Like 1